Scale - Spring Dandelions

In this work, I got play around with the scale of objects; specifically dandelions and my friend Jackson. For this I took two seperate photos - one of the dandelions, on of Jackson, - and layered them. However, it was difficult to convincingly mesh these photos. To place Jackson on the scale of dandelions took more work than simply placing a picture of him on top of dandelions. As Lupton says, “A graphic element can appear larger or smaller depending on the size, placement, and color of the elements around it.” (pg. 156) Starting with size, I had obviously had to scale Jackson down to a size he could appear on top of the dandelion. Finding the right balance is key - too small, and you may not notice him - too large, and its unconvincing the flower could support his weight. Next, I needed to place into the image, not just over it. This involved layer aspects of the dandelion photo - including flower petals and other flower parts - over Jackson to give it depth. Finally, I had to alter the color of Jackson. I took Jackson's photo while he was sitting on gray concrete, while I wanted him sitting among the bright yellow flowers. I had to lightly colorize the Jackson photo in varying degrees to make give the appearance of yellow reflected light against him. All of these components convincingly scale Jackson down to a point where he may sit upon a dandelion, enjoying a spring day. 





Comments

Popular Posts