Texture - Jack of Hearts


I originally arrived at the idea to make this playing card while listening to a Bob Dylan song, "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts." Far from the original aesthetic of the song, my Jack of Hearts is more foxy than folksy. I started off creating the image shown below from the pictures I took and just flat color - black and red. From there, I overlaid the texture onto the image. Originally, I had the texture covering the entire image, but I didn't like the effect this had on the non-black parts of the image. In the end, I only utilized the texture in the negative space of the image, but I think it is still convincing. Now that the image had its texture, I needed to make into an actual playing card; I round the edges into a card shape, put a white layer underneath, and added a shadow to give it a three-dimensional feel. Looking back, I wish I had used a different background - perhaps a wooden table top or sitting on top of a deck of cards - but I'm still happy with how the image is conveyed. “Physical textures affect how a piece feels to the hand, but they also affect how it looks.” Everything I did works to give the original image a more tactile, physical presence - you can imagine the feeling of a playing card looking at this, which to me personally automatically brings in the memory of the smell of a fresh pack of cards. I especially enjoy how the card interacts with light vs the matte black appearance of the original image. 








Comments

Popular Posts