Framing

 Appleton is - and don't take this the hard way - not the prettiest town. It's certainly working on itself, but it aint great. I spend a lot of time travelling, when I'm not in school, and I often wish I could just open a door or close my eyes and find myself somewhere else. For this piece, I sought to find natural frames around Appleton to serve as "doorways" to what I'd deem as more interesting places. As Lupton says, “The mechanical eye of the camera cuts up the field of vision in a way that the natural eye does not. Every time you snap a picture with a camera, you make a frame." In this piece, I tried to expand what could be captured with just a camera in Appleton. The framing of the yellow beams does not necessarily conform to logic - they run in and out of either location, nor do they even need to be physically touching to define the doorway, as is evident in the far right mountainpath. 

I'd like to keep working on this piece; I think the space where the two environments could flow into one another better along the ground, but I do love the stark contrast along the beams. I wasn't totally sure I was happy with the barrier along the ground - it seems a little harsh and unnatural - but I think it is in keeping; they blend a bit, but there is definitely a division between the two spaces. The framing is looser, but still present. I'd also like to use pictures I actually took, rather than stock images - that would make it more personal and I think would fit into the theme better of this being somewhere I want to be. 






Comments

Popular Posts